Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Note About Responsibilities

As an adult, life is full of responsibilities. At times, I feel like responsibilities consume my life.   For me, I spend time doing the things I need to do first and the things I like to do second.  Most days, I don't even finish the things I need to do.  I can't keep up.  And I can't find balance.  As a result, my days are packed full of trying to fulfill responsibilities, taking care of myself, my home, my husband, and my pets.  In the end I have little time for hobbies and being social.  Here is an example of my typical week:

Monday through Friday: I get up, get ready for work, and try to be at work by 7:30.  After work, I head straight to the gym where I try to get in a good 45-60 minute workout.  Go home, make and eat dinner with Ethan.  I try to find about 30 minutes to wind down by reading, watching part of a baseball game or work on cross stitch.  After which, I have treatments, which take about 45 minutes all together.  Once treatments are over, it is about 8 o'clock.  All I have the energy for is to read or watch TV before going to bed around 9:30.  Usually I am so tired by then, staying up until 9:30 can be a challenge.

Saturday: I sleep maybe an hour later than the weekend, but still get up early so I can have a quite morning with coffee, reading or watching baseball highlights from the previous evening.  Off to water aerobics at 10, usually getting home around 11:30.  Make lunch.  Go to the grocery store and prepare food for the week like cutting up fruits and planning meals for the week.  I usually finish this around 4.  Do treatments next, followed by making or eating dinner.  All the while trying to get laundry done, straighten up the house, run errands, and do all the things I need to do on the weekends that I can't get to on the weekdays. 

Sunday: Sunday is my general do nothing day...which rarely ever happens.  I don't go to the gym and I try to get all my chores done on Saturday, so Sunday can be limited to cooking dinner and treatments.  BUT...if we have plans to be away from home on a Saturday, all my Saturday stuff defaults to Sunday.  Giving me very little time to myself on the weekends.  For example in August we have plans every. single. Saturday.  There won't be much time to myself. 

Thus, I am usually left feeling like I never have enough time to complete my responsibilities and still have enough time to relax, do fun stuff, and be social.  Any alteration to my schedule leaves me feeling overwhelmed.  It's so hard to be spontaneous. The hard part is it is hard to make time with friends unless it is scheduled well in advanced.  This helps me adjust my schedule around to accommodate those plans.   And for the most part, I don't think people understand this.  Yes, as adults we are all busy.  But as a CFer, I can't compromise my well being for a social life.  Treatments and exercise are a must in my life.  During the week, I'm not left with much else.  I don't think a lot of people really understand life with CF.  But having friends is also important, so I try very hard to include being social as part of my life. 

I think this is why vacations are such an important part of life.  Yes, they are fun and exciting, but there are not much responsibilities while on vacation.  There are still treatments, and exercise is a little different, but the rest is relaxing.  I would not survive with out my vacations.  That is why I take like 5 a year. :)

3 comments:

  1. Very good blog Colleen. I think it's key to make one of our hobbies exercise and figure out something that's healthy for us that we actually like to do! You're doing a great job juggling all your responsibilities :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good blog. Really honest and real. It's a good representation of how much work it really takes to stay healthy.

    I wish my wife and I could get into the habit of prepping our food for the week on the weekend, but we never know what we'll be hungry for from one day to the next.

    I agree with you that our friends, try as they might, don't really get the CF stuff. It's not their fault though. Unless you live with something, it often gets lost in translation.

    Love you and miss you, buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Colleen. People without CF will never understand how hard we try to stay healthy and the things we sacrifice in order to stay healthy. I guess we have to understand that as well.

    ReplyDelete