PFTs, however, where telling a different story. I had my highest FVC ever and my second highest FEV1. My FEF 25-75 was the lowest ever, which I always test a lower number in this category. In fact, this number varied by nearly 20% just from doing three different tests. My doctors thoughts:
- She explained that the numbers are only one line of evidence for managing care and she considers much more when thinking about treatments.
- Her dilemma with me is whether to treat my symptoms with antibiotics or not.
- She was not concerned with the low 25-75 number.
- We talked a lot about why the numbers can be great, but not really "matching" my symptoms. I know I am allergic to grass, so there may be an allergy component to my symptoms.
- We decided to go a more conservative route to treat this set of symptoms. I am going to start hypertonic saline and albuterol. I am going to give it a trail run and check in again at next clinic to see if this helps with my symptoms.