Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Hypertonic Saline 7%-Day 1

Yesterday I started a new treatment to my routine: albuterol and hypertonic saline, both nebulized. The first hurdle with this treatment was actually getting the saline solution.  When I went to the pharmacy to pick it up, my prescription had been canceled.  As the pharmacist explained it to me, he simply thought the prescription was a mistake (?) and did not fill the order.  After explaining that yes I need the saline solution, I was then told it was not a medication that was in stock and it would have to be ordered.  Thanks Mr. Pharmacist for not only canceling the order, but also not having the medication even available just on the chance that I really needed it.  I was finally able to pick up my prescription Tuesday.

I've had nebulized albuterol before.  It usually makes my heat beat increase, but I didn't notice that last night.  The hypertonic saline is a pretty intense treatment.  It instantly irritated my throat, almost like a mild burring sensation.  It triggered a cough almost instantly.  It was a productive cough and I could immediately see the benefit of this treatment.  No noticeable side effects at this point.  Looking forward to seeing my reaction over the next couple of days to see if the results continue to be so noticeable. 

4 comments:

  1. When I first started HS I thought it was the nastiest thing ever and did not know how I would ever get used to it. But really, after time you get so used to it and I honestly do not even really taste the salt and it does not irritate my throat--but is still just as effective. I hope it works out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm eager to watch/read your progress with the HS. Our clinic is starting to follow a much more aggressive approach to preventative care and includes HS in its protocol. I think it's still a year or so off for Charlie though. Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's weird how hard HTS is to get considering it's just salty water :)

    Have you ever considered Xopenex instead of albuterol? It's supposed to help with the heart flutters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cff pharmacy is the only place I've been able to get it for W, and it's annoying because it comes in boxes of 60 for a month's supply. So any month with 31 days he's supposed to skip it? Ugh.
    - Stacy

    ReplyDelete