Thursday, May 12, 2011

Vest Upgrade

My first Vest system came to me in 1996, shortly after I was diagnosed with CF.  I received Hill Rom's Vest Model 103.  My insurance would not pay for it at the time, so Hill Rom actually gave the system to me for free.  Recently, I was discussing treatments with my social worker and she suggested I try to upgrade my system, since I had one of the older models.  I decided to look into it just to see what my options are.  Well, because I have newer insurance, they have technically not purchased a Vest for me, so a new system was authorized with no co-pay.  I decided to take advantage and upgrade.  I now have model 105.  The new system has so many advantages including:

Size- the machine is about 2/3 the size of the old one.

Weight- New machine weighs less than the old one, making it much more portable.

The new machine is digital, opposed to the knobs on the old machine.

The new machine is programmable, making it easier to switch frequency and pressure. 

The new machine has a "pause" function making it way easier to pause treatments to cough. 

No more foot pedal, the new machine just goes on its own.

I am very thankful I was able to upgrade, especially with no co-pay. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved the 105 Hillrom. Tried another kind once, the hoses actually latched but I didn't cough as much.

    ReplyDelete