Friday, February 4, 2011

Sleep Study

Last week, my sleep study was conducted.  The study is ued to determine the presence or absence of sleep apnea, or the loss of oxygen while sleeping.  A common side effect of sleep apnea is sinus problems.  While I don't have the "classic" symptom of sleep apnea (snoring), the CF doctor and I decided it couldn't hurt to complete the test. 

I picked up the equipment from the hospital, where they gave me all the instructions on how to hook myself up and what to do in the morning, including getting the devise back to the hospital the next morning.  Here is what the equipment looked like:

From Drop Box

From Drop Box

From Drop Box

Of course, once I was all hooked up, I couldn't fall asleep.  I think it took me over an hour to fall asleep, where I would normally fall asleep within 10 minutes.  Once I did fall asleep, I slept good for a couple of hours.  But eventually the weight of the devise was too much on my arm.  I unhooked the devise from my arm (just the machine, not the monitors on my fingers). Taking the weight off helped me sleep much better. 

I was told the result would take about 2 weeks, so I am looking forward to seeing what my sleep patterns look like some time next week . 

2 comments:

  1. wow, that's kinda cool! Not that you have sleep apnea... but they let you bring it home and you will get to see your sleep pattern! That always has interested me. You're a busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe how well I started to sleep when I finally started sleeping with oxygen a couple years back.

    ReplyDelete