Monday, February 9, 2009

Taxes & Student Loans

I did our taxes this weekend. We owe for the feds, but are getting a return from the state, which put us at about a $400.00 net refund. We are lucky to have the mortgage interest deduction or we would owe like $8,000. I had to look up some information about my student loan (because you can deduct the interest paid) and I noticed I only have $1,300 left on my loan. It will be paid off around this time next year. My first thought was that went by fast, but in reality I have been out of college for almost 9 years. In terms of paying off a bill, that seems like a really long time to hold debt and pay interest. But in terms of an investment, it is the best money I have spent or probably will ever spend. But I am still going to celebrate when it is payed off!

No comments:

Post a Comment