Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Work-Out Wednesday-Joining a Gym

I first joined a gym ten years ago. I joined a local club, Stan Bennett's for 19 dollars a month. I joined in September 2000. I had recently graduated from college and was working full time for the first time in my life. And I gained about 15 pounds. This was really the first time I ever gained weight and it really sneaked up on me. I thought I was immune from gaining weight. So, I ran out to join a gym to get control of my weight. I didn't realize at the time how important that decision was concerning my overall health.

In 2006, I had major back surgery. The recovery was difficult and the only form of exercise I could really participate in was in the water. I needed to join a gym with a pool. So I left Stan's and joined 24 Hour Fitness. I was a decent gym that helped me meet my fitness needs, both in and out of the water. But as the years went on, the atmosphere of the facility started to deteriorate: dirty, the pool heater was always broke, crowded, and unsanitary conditions. We decided to move on. Around April of this year we joined a country club: Fountain Grove Gold and Athletic Club. A local facility with many amenities from clean towels, tennis courts, a restaurant, and snack bar. Its at a beautiful location and I love being there.

For me, belonging to a gym is key for getting a good work-out. There is lots of variety at the gym and having a gym that I love going to really helps. I truly love being there. However, I realize the gym environment is not for everyone. And it does cost money. I personally think it is the best money I spend every month and is just as important as paying the mortgage or paying for food. Plus, I don't want to pay for a gym membership that I don't use, so the cost is added motivation. I want to get my money's worth.

For the next several weeks, Work-out Wednesdays will explore all the different things I do at the gym.

2 comments:

  1. I am right there with you -- being part of a gym is integral to my exercise giving me more structure than I give myself at home. Looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you play tennis? They were saying on Biggest Loser last night that Tennis is such a great workout and exercise because you are constantly moving and working everything. Just wondered. (I don't)

    It's good you didn't stay at that place that deteriorated. It's bad enough for a CFer using a public pool and facilities like that, so I'm glad to hear you've joined a country club and they keep it nice and clean. I'm glad you are being diligent with your exercise and keeping it a priority. Starting young is SOOOOOO good, I can't tell you!

    My dr. told me today (at clinic) that she's going to set me up with Pulm. Rehab. That way my O2 and heart are monitored and they can work on my breathing and help me get a really good routine going. She said Medicare pays for it for about 30mos. I love doing my exercise at home, so it will be new for me to go someplace for that.

    ReplyDelete