Thursday, June 23, 2011

Saying Goodbye

This month, I had to say goodbye to two members of my CF team.  The first was Amy, the Event Coordinator of our local Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Chapter.  Amy lead our Santa Rosa Great Strides Walk.  She was excellent at connecting with the community, providing motivation, and just being so supportive of the mission.  Amy decided to leave the Foundation to continue on with her eduction.  I will miss having Amy at Great Strides, but I wish her luck with her new goals. 

The second team member was my clinic's social worker, known as Mrs. Wonderful.  I really connected with this person last year during my IV treatments.  She really helped me deal with the emotions associated with having a chronic illness.  Since then we have had many conversations about various topics, most not even CF related.  Mrs. Wonderful was always willing to talk with me.  I didn't have to wait for clinic to talk with her.  We talked on the phone a lot.  She even met with me once when I was at the hospital for an appointment with the ENT.  She was such a wonderful component of my team.  She completely went above and beyond her job expectation.  I am thankful to have had her be apart of my team. 

Saying goodbye to these women got me thinking.  Having CF, I will always be connected to this community.  I will always need a team to take care of me.  But those on the team are connected to CF by means of a job.  A noble profession, of course, but never-the-less, they are getting paid to be apart of the CF community.  They have the choice to be apart of this community.  I don't get that same choice.  I guess it is just a realization that my CF team can change, even when don't want it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment