Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sonoma County Tour Guide

Sonoma County was home to Mr. Charles Schultz, creator of the Peanuts comic strip. His legend lives on in the county with the Snoopy Ice Arena and the Charles Schultz Museum. Prior to his death, he also donated a large sum of money to my alma mater, Sonoma State University, for a new campus library. His final resting place is at the Pleasant Hills Cemetery in Sebastopol, California.

Yesterday I went to the ice arena to watch my friend's son play hockey. It really got me thinking about how lucky we are to have Mr. Schultz be apart of our community and to have such a nice ice arena in our own backyard. Here is a local piece of history, right at my door step. I have lived in this area for 12 years and prior to this year, I have never been to the ice arena or the museum. Now that I have been to both, I wish I would have embraced this local history long ago. But there is no time like the present. If you live in the area, I encourage you to take advantage of our local history. And if you are ever in the area for a visit, make sure to visit these attractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment