Monday, July 26, 2010

CFRI Retreat

*This blog is about sputum. If that grosses you out, stop reading.*

Cystic Fibrosis Research Inc (CFRI) is hosting their annual conference and retreat starting July 30. The conference is 3 days (July 30 -August 1), followed by a charitable golf tournament (August 2), and on to the retreat (August 3-9). I have been planning on attending the retreat...but I have one slight problem. A sputume culture is required for attendance and I have no sputum to culture. My lungs have been left so free and clear after my IV treatment there is just nothing coming up.

Collection of sputum has actually always been a challenge for me. I could go for days on end coughing, then the moment the doctors hands me a cup for collection...forget it. In this case, I know it is related to the success of my treatment. For the past couple of weeks, I thought I would just see what happens. But I need the results by Friday. Using the Acapella every night has not helped. I have been huff-coughing every morning. Last night, I even pulled out the old VEST to see if that could get anything going. Nothing.

Then this morning, I was going to give it my last try. Four or five huff-coughs led to regular, deep coughing. I was able to bring a small sample up, although I am not sure if it was enough to culture. I took it over to the lab anyway. Now I have to wait and see. I never though there would be a down side to being healthy. :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same way! Have fun getting a sample from me, I'm just not productive these days. I don't understand how my FEV1 is 39% when I'm not productive, but that's me.

    I'm glad you were able to get your culture in time!

    ReplyDelete