Friday, December 31, 2010

As 2010 Comes to an End

2010 brought a lot of chance to my life.  Most notably, switching insurance and starting over with all new doctors.  I am very pleased with my decision.  Although the coverage is about the same as my previous insurance, the system for this HMO is 100 times better.  I am so pleased with the care of my CF team.  For the first time in years, I have PFT results from every clinic visit.  I have access to email my doctors, which has been a very effective way to communicate. I am just so please with this change.

2010 also brought my first (and only) IV antibiotic treatment.  It was difficult to face, at first, but in the end, I am so thankful for the treatment.  I learned a lot about myself and CF during this time.  My lungs where unbelievable clear after the treatment.  I had my highest PFTs on record ever! I learned the importance of keeping a schedule and taking medications on time.  I found a way to accept that I really do have CF and that is ok.  I found a way to embrace treatments and to accept that they need to be a part of my life, no matter how good I feel.  I learned the importance of preventative maintenance.

In terms of non-health related items, Ethan and I had a few fun trips in 2010.  We spent the weekend in San Francisco for the comic convention in April, we went to our annual Spring Training trip, and we celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary in Seattle. 

As this year comes to a close, I continue to reflect on how lucky I am to be in such great health, have a good job, great health insurance, access to quality medical care, and to have such wonderful family and friends in my life. 

Here is to a great 2011.  Happy New Year.

Colleen

3 comments:

  1. It's so nice to hear that you had a great year! A few bumps along the way but you learn so much from them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing and awesome. You are my friend and I love you. Here's to 2011: May it be everything you hope it will be and more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have the happiest of New Year's, Colleen! I just know 2011 will be filled with tons of good stuff... Hugs!

    ReplyDelete