Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Save the Gold Dust Lounge

I can't remember the first time I ever stepped foot in the Gold Dust Lounge, but I can safely say it is one of my favorite bars in San Francisco.  The bar has a unique atmosphere, with friendly customers and awesome bartenders.  The drink prices are totally reasonable, a rare find in a big city. I have met some really amazing people while sitting at this bar including a mortician and a man from England here to ride his bike from SF to LA. I bring friends here.  I bring tourists here.  This bar has rich history in SF and has been in operation for over 45 years. 

It became my tradition to stop for a drink at the Gold Dust after CF Clinic, when I was still going to clinic in SF.  I have even made mention of my stops at this bar in previous blog posts.  I looked at it as a little reward for dealing with clinic in the first place.  Even though I don't have clinic in SF anymore, I am still a patron of The Gold Dust whenever I am in the area. In fact, after clinic on Friday (details coming in separate blog) I made my way over to SF for a little shopping and a drink at the lounge.  I was sad to learn when I arrived at my favorite local hangout, that the owners of Gold Dust had been given an eviction notice and have been told to vacate the premises so an Express store could open in its location.  Note SF already has an Express 0.2 miles from here.   I am in disbelief that this bar, full of history and character could be replaced by a big business retail facility. This is not ok. No one is going to close down my favorite bar!

Now, the Gold Dust is still going full swing.  They are also putting out a major campaign to save this bar.  I am in full support of this movement.  Please check out their website, like them on facebook, maybe even sign the petition to save this historic location. 

No comments:

Post a Comment