Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas Birthday

Friday I celebrated my 32nd birthday. People often ask me what is it like to have a birthday on Christmas. To me, it is the only birthday I know. Here are the positives and negatives.

Negatives: People are often too busy around the holidays to celebrate with me, unless I am already going to see them on Christmas or Christmas Eve. It is harder to celebrate with friends. Combo gifts. Birthday presents wrapped in Christmas paper.

Positives: People generally don't forget my birthday. Even people I have not seen for 20 years remember my birthday. Some friends and family go out of their way to make my birthday special and separate fro Christmas. When everyone is done opening presents on Christmas day, I still get to open a few more.

I guess it is a pretty weird day to have a birthday. If anything, it is a good conversation piece. When people see my birthday, I'd say 75% of the time, people take up a conversation about it.

1 comment: