Thursday, December 17, 2009

Santa Hearts

For two years now, my office has participated in a donation program to provide Christmas presents to needy people. The program is run by the local fire department. They find needy people in the community and give them one wish for Christmas. Then their name, age, a little description about the person and their wish is written on a heart. Volunteers can then choose a heart (or two or more) and buy the present the person is wishing for. This year our office provided for 71 hearts. I had two. One was for a 95 year old woman who wanted purple socks and a sweater. The other was for a man with AIDS who's wish was for dog and cat treats and toys for his pets.

It is a very rewarding program to participate in. And to see our office come together and help provide presents for 71 needy people makes me very proud of my co-workers. We are all dealing with a 15% pay cut right now, so I was not sure how successful participating in this program would be. But when I started to look at some of the wishes people had, I begin to realize how much I have to be thankful for and how lucky I am to have so much in my life.

I am a state employee and I often am subject to negative comments about government employees. Perhaps this is an example of how not all government employees are bad people, as we seem to have a reputation for.

No comments:

Post a Comment