Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Work-Out Wednesdays- Walking

After my back surgery in 2006, I was advised by my back doctor to walk as much as I could.  I started by walking up and down the hallway every 2-3 hours, slowly progressed to walking in front of the house, up and down the street, to around the block, and eventually the whole neighborhood.  During this time I found a 2.5 mile route around my neighborhood that I could walk in about 40 minutes. Once completely recovered from my back surgery, I went back to other forms of exercise, but every once-in-a-while I will walk my neighborhood route.

I also like to walk around a local park, Spring Lake.  The trail is paved and is a little over three miles.  It is mostly shaded, so even in the summer, it is a comfortable walk. 

Every once in a while I will use the gym treadmill to walk.  Sometimes I just feel so tired that walking seems like it is the only thing I can do.  Other times, if my back is acting up, a walk feels the best.  But walking on the treadmill is really boring, I really prefer to be outside when walking. 

I wish I could walk twice a day for 30 minutes in addition to my normal work out routine.  But I just don't have that much time in a day...or do I?


No comments:

Post a Comment